Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Writer's Life: Wendy Paine Miller

Welcome to another edition of Writer's Life! Every Wednesday features a romance writer of inspirational or sweet romance novels. I'm excited to share some of my favorite authors and hope you'll find new books for your to-be-read pile!

This week we have someone very special. Wendy Paine Miller and I met online through blogging, then we became critique partners, and through it all a friendship grew. I consider her one of my best friends. Not only is she an amazing writer (buy The Flower Girls HERE!!), she's also supportive and very, very real. I can't tell you how many times I called her when my dad was in the hospital earlier this year (and every other day too--keeping it real!). We all need a Wendy in our life!!

Anyway, I'm so excited about her new book, The Flower Girls. My review is below!!

Let's get to it!!

1. What about writing makes your heart sing?

I love this question, Jill. Going with how alive I feel when my fingers are pecking at the keyboard and my mind is strumming. I’m also enraptured when hints of myself and those I’ve known and loved show up on the page. My stories end up being a culmination of my life and experiences. Writing is also a form of worship for me.

2. What is the biggest hurdle you're facing right now as a writer?

Focus. I have three different plots spinning like plates in my brain. I’ve written half of one story, and at least a third of the other two. I’m trying to pinpoint which one needs to be told most. Problem is I’ve fallen in love with the characters from all of them.

3. What do you do to fill your creative well?

Lately I’ve had to be harder on myself about getting rest. A few nights I’ve awakened at 4am and headed straight for my computer and I’ve had to force myself to go back to bed. What I really love to do is paint. Between painting, running, reading, and getting immersed in deep conversations my well pretty much runneth over. There are days when I feel like I do more mopping up of all the water that’s sloshed over my creative well than actually drinking from that well.

4. What are you working on now?

Pick a novel. Any novel. No, seriously, please pick one of the three aforementioned novels. I’m breathing life into those characters and stories. I’m also spending a good deal of time interacting with readers, celebrating the release of my first full-length novel, THE FLOWER GIRLS. I’ll never say it enough…I love my readers!

***
Wendy, anyone reading your books can feel the passion you have for writing! Sounds like the characters are clamoring for attention. 4am wake-up calls aren't good! But I understand. :) What have you painted lately? The kitchen cupboards, if I'm remembering correctly? I'll pick a novel. I'll make it easy on you!!

***



The Flower Girls ~

Imagine staring into the face of a loved one with no recollection of who they are. Every person a stranger. Daisy O’Reilly's inability to recognize faces, a cognitive disorder resulting from a childhood accident, causes her to rely heavily upon her twin sister, Poppy. Perhaps too much so. 

Overwhelmed by Daisy’s needs, Poppy anticipates the freedom her upcoming wedding will bring—a chance to relinquish her obsessive worries about Daisy and escape the clutches of guilt from one hazy day when the girls were seven. When they were still invincible. 

With a thriving floral photography career but a floundering love life, Daisy questions how strong she will be on her own. And who she might become without Poppy living down the hall or offering a deluge of reminders during each social interaction. 

But for the O’Reilly sisters to properly let go, they must first understand what they’re holding on to.

***



About Wendy ~

Wendy is a native New Englander who feels most alive when she's laughing, reading, writing or taking risks. She's authored nine novels and is currently writing what she hopes will be your future book club pick. Her work has been published in numerous anthologies and online sites. Wendy lives with her husband and their three girls in a home bursting with imagination and hilarity.

She's represented by Rachelle Gardner of Books & Such Literary Agency. 

***

My Review ~ 5 STARS!!


The Flower Girls is the story of twins whose lives are intertwined due to genetics and past tragedies. The book alternates between Daisy, a flower photographer with face blindness, and Poppy, a midwife with a major guilt complex. The sisters grapple with how close is too close, how much do they owe each other, and how will their futures develop when Poppy gets married?

The New England setting wrapped me up, and the tone reminded me of a gentle but persistent rain--relentless, yet nourishing. Wendy Miller is a master of subtle revelations. At first Poppy seems the stronger of the two twins, but as the story develops, you see the core strength of Daisy, and how courageous she is in light of her disability. Also, anyone with siblings will relate to the intricacies of their relationship!

I highly recommend this book! It's a perfect summer read, and the characters will stay with you long after The End!

***

Are you fascinated by sibling interaction? Do you have brothers and sisters?

Have a fantastic day!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for inviting me here today, Jill. Yes, the kitchen cabinets. A monster green & then quickly changed it to a muted blue shade. Love them...now. I'm grateful for what a support you've been!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, muted blue! I'll bet it's pretty! ;) And I'm grateful for you--your help with my writing, your friendship, and your books!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!