Friday, October 18, 2013

Let's Talk Reading Habits!

I'm currently reading three books. Yes, I said three. This is pretty normal for me!

1.  Kate Walker's 12 Point Guide to Writing Romance by Kate Walker
2.  The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris by David McCullough
3.  God's Story Your Story: When His Becomes Yours by Max Lucado




I've been reading Kate Walker's book for two weeks, and I'm about halfway through it. Why so much time for one slim book? Easy! I'm studying it chapter-by-chapter, taking notes, and fitting it in during my less busy days.

Max Lucado's book jumped out at me from the library. I couldn't NOT start reading it. I'm almost to the mid-point and anticipate finishing it this weekend. Very uplifting.

David McCullough's book isn't to be rushed through. It's one to savor. Full of fascinating historical and personal details of Americans who spent time in Paris between 1830 and 1900, The Greater Journey appeals to my love of history and minutiae.

I will be adding a fourth book to this mix soon, too. I came across this goodie by Stephanie Laurens, The Taming of Ryder Cavanaugh, and it's been a long time since I've read one of her books.

This brings up the question of the day: Is it wrong to read three books at once? Should a person finish one before starting another? I don't know! I've been this way as long as I can remember. However, I will say that I rarely have two novels open. I tend to only read one work of fiction at a time.

Care to share your reading habits? Do you have more than one book open? Or do you finish one before starting another?

Have a fabulous weekend!!

13 comments:

  1. I'm also currently reading three completely different books. I'm reading a writing craft book, a memoir about a girl who solo-sailed around the world, and a YA dystopian romance. However, I will definitely finish the fiction read faster and start another one while still reading the other two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I are so similar, Heather! I'm the same way. Non-fiction takes me longer. I zip through novels!

      Delete
  2. I'm the same way -- always 3-4 books going at once! It's like having eyes too big for my stomach. I have to try everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I generally have a couple books going at a time--I've been trying to read a little more nonfiction interspersed with my constant flow of fiction. :) But I have to admit, I love it when one book grabs me SO much that I just have to read it straight through without touching anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that too, Melissa! Nothing better than not being able to put a book down!

      Delete
  4. I love having more than one book going. Right now, I'm reading Take a Chance On Me, by Susan May Warren on my kindle when I walk on the tread mill. I'm reading Deep and Wide when I have a few minutes during the day, and I'm (re)listening to a Karen Kingsbury book when I do things like cook dinner.

    Non-fiction always takes me a lot longer to read than fiction too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read that Susie May book! Let me know how you like it. :) Great idea to listen to books. I still haven't gone that route. :)

      Delete
  5. Himself and I were just talking about reading habits. Sadly, neither of us has really sat down to read for enjoyment. I have some books on various electronic reading devices, but the books I've been looking at are art books as I research projects to use in classes. Fun, enjoyable, but not real reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, "various electronic reading devices" is not enjoyable reading material! Ha! Ha! And...I love art books.

      Delete
  6. You should see my house...books everywhere! I HAVE to read more than one at a time.

    Generally I read nonfiction and memoir - relatively few novels since I've started writing them. I don't want to start mimicking another's style - I know how easy it is to do.

    And why does 'mimic' end with a 'c', and 'mimicking' have that pesky 'k'..?

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrible about spelling weird words like mimic! Your house sounds fabulous. Books everywhere? Yes! I'm a piler. I have little piles of books and magazines all over the place!

      Delete
  7. I usually have two going at one time - one on my Kindle and one print book. Currently, I'm reading Wendy Paine Miller's book on Kindle. The print book is a non-fiction, detailed look at covenant relationships.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!