Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Real Life? What's That?

Tuesday 3:30pm: I have to write a blog post.

Stares blankly at windows. What am I going to write about?

Oh! The next scene has to include her realizing she never told him...wait, what was I doing again? Blog post. Ugh. M&Ms where are you?




This is me in first-draft-land. Yes, I'm writing a new book, and because I'm deep into a manuscript, everything online fades away. I spend hours pouring words into my keyboard. Think of dialogue and scenes and settings at night when my brain is supposed to be resting. And when I pop my head up after an intense session, the last thing I can deal with is the real world!

Blogging? Who can concentrate on blogging? I have nothing left but the problems of my characters, and, frankly, I'm too wrapped up in them. Fascinated. Obsessed.

But an hour later, I've created enough distance between fiction and reality to focus on my blog. I can even scroll through Facebook and Twitter. Maybe think about cooking something for dinner.

Speaking of...I should cut up the meat for the stew. And doesn't one of my children need help with homework? The dog has been let out, right?

I have to write a blog post.

Well, I guess I just wrote it. :)

How do you deal with the real world when you're immersed in a fictional world?

Have a terrific day!

14 comments:

  1. Hi, Jill! Boy, I can relate to this one. At least you wrote a blog post! My blog languished while I was writing the first draft. Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! I know, Kathy! I was so tempted to take a month off from blogging... :) Good luck with yours too!

      Delete
  2. Jill, way to turn something we all do into a blog post! Happy Holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 26 dogs keep me pretty well focused on real life. And yes, their personalities find their way into the traits of my human characters.

    For my blog - when I'm writing 'hard' I designate one night a week as 'blog night', and write a week's worth before going to bed. Still have to answer comments, but the posts are done for a bit.

    blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, I love the idea of setting aside time to prep all the blogs for the next week. I've been bad about doing this, but there's definite value in planning ahead. :)

      Delete
  4. Our first-draft-lands are neighbors! I'll be interested to read the comments here, because I don't know how you guys switch between fiction and reality so well. Inquiring minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! I have a terrible time switching, Donna! Terrible!!

      Delete
  5. LOL. This is SO me! Hope it's coming along good for you, Jill:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan!! It is! I pushed through my tough parts (the murky middle) and am looking forward to getting to another key plot point!

      Delete
  6. I get this. :) Even when I'm revising, it's hard to pull myself out of the story and live in "real life" again. :) Your idea of taking some time to come out slowly makes sense. And yes, I get scatter-brained too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee,hee--it's so hard!! Ugh! My brain can't take it!

      Delete
  7. Hi, Jill. I recently saw a Google piece titled "Pretrib Rapture Stealth" and would like your reaction to it. Lord bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually cut out social networking altogether when I'm drafting, and only look at it on the weekends. Since I started taking off weekends from writing, my life has drastically improved because I feel a much better balance. I actually write faster, too, when I do this. So win, win! Good luck finding a balance, Jill! <3

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!